- I loved the R-Truth / John Morrison segment on RAW the other night. Brought a whole new look at R-Truth who I could not stand mainly because of the singing and the piercings. I could have done without the smoking, however.
- Hoping the Buffalo Sabres – who held off the Toronto Maple Leafs late season surge beat the Philadelphia Flyers. I detest the Flyers – well everything Philly, except the Phillies. To see them lose will hopefully be a sign to management there that being the league bullies will not bring success and championships. Hartnell, Carcillo, Pronger, Versteeg, Mike Richards… Ugh.
- Any chance the Heat are going to lose in the 1st round? Doubt it.
- IF the NHL brings the Jets back to Winnipeg, I think the country of Canada should arrange a deal with the Jets where by people buy a Jets jersey and 50% of it goes to the team to help it keep some cash so it won’t be considered a small market. I’d buy one!
- I watch TNA wrestling and as much as I like the wrestling, I realize each and every Thursday night how bad the writing is. Storylines come and go with no rhyme or reason, people like Rick Flair and still in there, and guys like Gunner and Murphy and Rob Terry are portrayed as useless. Even RVD gets called out for being a pothead in the show. I just don’t get it. If I wanted to watch the alsorans from the WWE, I’d watch Superstars, not Impact.
- Come to think of it… I think Philly management might be writing for TNA… The Flyers always like to be big and tough, however, no goaltending and too many goons is a huge problem. They got to the finals with Michael Leighton, then gave him a huge contact but he didn’t play well this year so they turned to Bobrovsky, who had a bad game and they handed the reins over to Brian Boucher – who I used to watch in junior… Big talent, big ego I thought, and now Boucher let in soft goals so they’re back and Leighton whho may not have played since December 3rd or something crazy like that. Hey Philly… Less goons, better goaltending!
Brian Burke is in a no-win situation.
He gets Phil Kessel for two-first round picks and a second round pick and fans hate that move because Kessel – probably better suited as a solid 2nd line winger – is slumping.
Then, yesterday he ships out Kris Versteeg – a 24 year old winger he picked up from the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks for 3 spare parts in the summer – for a 1st round pick and a 3rd round pick from the Flyers.
Fans… Still not happy because the Flyers are a top team in the league.
But let’s put this all in perspective. I’ve been a Leafs fan since the late 70’s – yes I’m that old – and back then they sucked worse and had no future because of Harold Ballard. Now, they have pressure from everywhere.
Versteeg – I watched him play last week against the Thrashers – was not a good hockey player. Watching him skate around made me realize that because a player is on a championship team does not make him a top-notch player. He is replaced by Jeoffrey Lupal. Lupal came to Toronto with a prospect for a very over-priced give-away prone defenseman named Beauchemin.
Net result, is the Leafs have to get better so as to not give the Bruins a lottery pick this year. They have filled out the second line now with MacArthur, Kulemin and Grabovski. Their first line is Lupol and Kessel (insert a centre that can move the puck here not named Bozak) and in the off season urke will load up a real first line with some free agent talent as the team will have a ton of cap room once Komisarek and Kaberle are gone.
I’m sad for the Leafs.
The sounds I heard most in the ACC were those of apathy.
I just don’t want to give the B’s any more quality players, as Rask and Seguin are enough.
As for the deal just completed today which saw the Leafs pick up Aaron Voros from the (who else) Ducks for a 7th round pick. Sure Voros was available last week on waivers and yes, he was assigned straight to the Marlies, but why give up that pick? Voros, no goals and 43 PIM in the farm this year… Yikes.